August 20, 2011

August 14th - 25 Years

S'te worked hard all summer putting the commemoration for the 25th Anniversary of the last time we talked or was with Jeremy.  After their breakneck trip down and her family reunion was over she went into high gear on  all the last minute modifications and plans and details for Jeremy's Memorial.  Balloons were released all over the United States ~ and according to posts ~ in several other countries in the world.

Jeremy's Balloon Release
(click for a slideshow of the hundreds of balloons released in Memory)


I spent a very, very emotional day trying to cope with the whole idea of really truly coming to terms with the idea and the FACT that I was actually telling Jeremy good-bye and Rest in Peace.   He was such a joy to me, so very active and smart, so protective and so very proud of his little sister!  Even now it is so hard to grasp that in all likelihood I will never see or touch him again.

About 50 of our friends and relatives came to the Myrtle Crest baseball field to Memorialize his life. I was amazed by some of the people that came - and just as amazed by those who didn't.  I was so glad to see old friends - Jeremy's friends, those who played ball with him, some who went to school with him, and many, many relatives came to show their love during this wonderful send off.  We all had blue t-shirts with his picture on them - an awesome sea of blue - if you will!

S'te prepared an amazing, awesome, wonderful, and heartwarming send off for Jeremy.  The balloons that she and those wonderful helpers spend the morning inflating and tying were released in turn. . .

14 blue balloons - released by S'te and I - for the 14 years he was with us
25 red balloons - released by his nieces and nephews - for the 25 years that he has been missing
100 white balloons - released by family - for all the love he was not here to enjoy
800+ green balloons - to memorialize, not only Jeremy's missing status, but for the over 800,000 children on the missing childrens lists at any one time.
and
finally, the pink balloon that I'd been seeing around the house for a week.  It showed up at the ballfield with HOPE marked on it.  S'te released it with the HOPE that an answer would someday be found as to why my baby boy, her brother, had to be taken from us - and what evil was done.  

I honestly have to admit that most of the day was in a fog.  I cannot remember all the kind words that were said or all the wonderful people that did come - I just know there was an awesome amount of love in that field.

I know that Jeremy, my Mom, Uncle GL, and the other loved ones that have gone before us were all smiling down on us as we paid this final tribute.

Thank you S'te for such a lovely tribute. I love you.

No comments: