October 16, 2008

TUNA!!!

We didn't get our fish on Monday as planned - but on Tuesday - WOW - boy do we have fish!!!!


We filleted one - so that I could get some loins to BBQ next summer. I love BBQ tuna - It's sooooo yummy!!!! Then Clint, Sallie, Tim, Keith, and I went to work. We have 16 fish to "process" ~ for lack of a better term. hehee




Here we have the tuna in the ovens and are taking our lunch break before starting up the CANNER!!! It's in caps because until recently - I've never seen such a big canner!!! It will take 51 half-pint jars at once!!


At the end of Day 1 we had 120 1/2 pint jars. Some oil packed with peppers, some with garlic, and the rest was baked whole and then canned. Keith had a bowl of tuna for breakfast this morning before he helped me get the next 5o or so jars ready for the canner.

Look at our fillets! Can't beat that for waste!! I don't think we will run out of canned tuna anytime soon!!
End of day 2
I SMELL LIKE FISH!! EVERYONE SMELLS LIKE FISH!!! Keith and Tim went to Sears looking for a tractor part..... The salesgirl told Keith ~ "You smell like fish!" it was funny.... then when Keith had to call her back ~ he just said ~ "it's the guy who smells like fish" ~ and she knew right away who it was..... heheee!!
We now have 217 1/2 pint jars of tuna and 5 more fish to "process"!!! Think we have enough>>>> I haven't had the urge to make a tuna casserole just yet - but soon I'll have to! ROTFL

2 comments:

Sharen said...

I'll bet those San Diego boys never canned Tuna before!

I love those neon gloves you and Keith were wearing! :-)

Strange how much fun "work" can be, huh?

thanks for posting the pic's, Sis!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of tuna! Can't wait to try it out and make sure that it's good! ;-)