May 4, 2007

Missing and Exploited Children


It has been 21 years since this family portrait was taken. In so many ways it seems like it was just yesterday and in so many others it seems like several lifetimes ago.

This was taken right after Jeremy's outstanding basketball season while playing for South Middle School in Grants Pass, Oregon. His coach nominated him for the United States Achievemnet Academy 1986 Awards. I still open Volune 31 to see his picture there. I'll never forget the pride and honor his Coach bestowed on him in a letter written to me along with a copy of this stats for that season. He was never happier than when he was playing ball. It never mattered if it was basketball, baseball, or pinball he loved it. And he had such a natural talent. Since he was tall for a 13 year old, and left handed, he could sneak up on the opposite team and suprise them easily with both right and left handed moves. The summer after this Portrait was taken we spent most of our time at Riverside Park. I was attending Business College and worked evenings but the afternoons were all ours. Jeremy and his constant shadow, S'te, ran, fished, swam, and biked all over the park while I studied both my books and them. That summer was the first (and only time that I know of) time he "liked" a girl. Actually took her to the movies. Her name was Eve. I'll never ever forget her name. It was my first realization that my "baby" was growing up. And so handsomly too! In my hazy memories, it was the best summer we ever had together.

Then something bad happened. We still do not know what happened. We may never know what but I pray that we will know where he is someday soon. The Coos County Sheriff's Department has spent countless manhours on investigation ~ for naught. But they haven't given up!! They are still working this as an active case - it hasn't been relagated to the "cold case" stack. Even after all of this time. The tools in place now for protecting children were not even thought of then. I fight between jealousy and relief every time an Amber Alert has a positive outcome. Sometimes even when the news isn't good. At least here is news for the grieving family. It is bittersweet knowledge that these families have to grieve senseless, sadistic acts brought on by the perverted people that have abounded. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children had only been in existence for a couple of years at that time. They have had Jeremy registered there since 1986 - and they have also not given up. All that we need is for the person or persons that has the missing puzzle pieces to come forth. The piece may not even be something that seems important. I pray that no one will take the pieces of our personal hell to thier grave with them rather than to help this one family solve a senseless event. I call it that ~ only because I do not know what else to call it.

A few years ago, I received this picture from NCMEC. It is an computer age-progressed idea of what Jeremy would probably look like at the age of 26. Isn't he still handsome??

A few weeks ago, I had more realization that God was still giving out tools for finding him. NCMEC contacted both S'te and I for DNA samples. We gladly complied. They will use these samples to run against the DNA collected from John Does. This program will hopefully answer questions for many families. I know in my mind that answers are needed - even when they douse that flicker of hope that has remained in our hearts - even after all these years. Pray for the families that have missing loved ones. We need these answers. We can't grieve until we know we have something to grieve for and we can't give up that glimmer of hope until we must.


Just this week, I received another age progressed guess of what he may look like at age 34. The end of this month is his 35th Birthday. His birthday is the same day as the Missing Child Awareness Day. He is still soooo handsome!!

I see the same humorous glint in his eyes that I see in S'te's. He would be so proud of her. She has so many qualities that she must've learned from him. The empathy, sympathy, humor, and steadfast loyalty that he always showed is so very apparent in her. He blessed our lives for such a short time - but left such amassive number of great memories. . . We love you, baby. Please, help us find you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same smile, the same eyes and unfortunatly the same time of year with no answers. When I think of Jeremy, I think of him with Grandma and Angie. I think of them being there to greet her as she entered the gates of Heaven and watching over her. As I read your post the tears started and I looked out the window to reflect. In the sky was a beautiful pink and blue sunset mixed with dark grey clouds. As I walked outside to look at it there was a slight wind blowing. Maybe it's their way of telling me that they are there.

Holly said...

What a handsome man your son is...he is two years younger than me. I'm praying that you find him.