May 25, 2008

On the road....

After leaving Missouri we traveled west, west, north, west, south, north, west, south and stop!!

We went thru Missouri and part of Kansas on Sunday, stopping in Topeka for a night, a dinner, and sleep. The Plains States are beautiful - if long.... The plan on Monday was to stop in Denver before crossing the Rockies - I picked out a place that had hot springs and all - but as things go - that didn't happen. Keith started driving and the next thing I knew - I saw the Wyoming state line!!! Instead of going thru the Rockies - we went around them - so Monday night we spent in Laramie, WY. Another eat and sleep and leave deal. On Tuesday we finished up Wyoming - seeing lots of deer and watching those majestic windmills that are popping up all over - I really think they are quite nice looking. If I had a choice - I'd take windmills over about any other type of "decor" (like power poles, transformers, cell towers, etc) I really don't know what the problem people have with protesting the windmills. Especially in some areas, wind is definately a renewable resource!! LOL I found new talk shows on the radio to keep me company as I drove and as I rode. When there was nothing on the radio to talk to - I talked to the deer, other drivers, sky, and if he was awake and listening, Keith. LOL It was a long drive.....
After Wyoming we went on down thru Utah, I think we were in the state an hour or so - maybe - only got out of the car for the Visitors Center and the rest stop - oh, wait! - that was the same place!! We enjoyed the scenery but soon came upon our first really bad weather on the trip. About 100 miles out of Boise, our Tuesday night stop-over, we started hearing about potential thunderstorms and that sort of thing on the radio. I was at the wheel. The clouds started gathering, we could see the wall of clouds to the west of us. They were big and they were black. But oddly enough - they never got to us!!! But a huge, brown, massive wall appeared in front of us and the wind began blowing - almost as badly as it can on the Oregon and Florida coasts!! Only thing was - there was this huge BROWN fog like wall that cars and trucks were disappearing into. So we followed.... tumbleweeds blowing across the Interstate - both hands gripped tight on the wheel - Keith hanging on for dear life (of course he does that anyway!) - we went into this wall..... It was like driving in fog...with very, very strong winds blowing. It was scary.... Keith started looking for hotels, motels, - I think about then he would've settled for a big rock to hide behind, hehehe!!! Well, I hung on to the wheel and after being sandblasted for about 90 minutes, we reached Boise. My shoulders felt like the bungie cords in them had retracted about 6 feet. The rubber bands were wound way too tight!! And to top it all off - Keith has an ugly rash on his legs!! I was afraid it was stress!! So we went to dinner and to our room to relax, check email, watch tv.... the transformer outside our window made a few ugly noises - but nothing to compare with the afternoon "festivities" so we ignored it.....

This ended our first 3 days "on the road"....

No comments: