May 30, 2008

Back to the trip

Sorry about that . . Jeremy's birthday always throws me for a loop.... it's really hard to grasp that I really do have a son whose 36th birthday just passed and all I can do is miss him.....


So back to the end of our trip.... I think I left us in Idaho.. We headed out from there early on Wednesday morning - so no sightseeing there either - but this time was really for a reason... We could get up to Pendleton and see Gerald for the afternoon visit session if we did. So I was all for that...

So off we went.. Right up the Oregon Trail.. We went from watching the snow on the hillsides in the Grand Tetons and the Rockies to the Burnt and Blue Mountains with snow right to the side of the highway!! And this was end-of-May!! It was a beautiful drive tho' All of the trees up to the treeline and the green and the blue sky!! Until we got close to Pendleton .... the mountains were so high the cars in front of us looked like they were driving right off into the clouds!! It was awesome!! The clouds are really dark so you can really see where mountain meets cloud!! It was probably not one of Keith's favorite parts... but it worked for me!! We made it to Pendleton just after lunchtime - so we tried - and failed to check into our room early so we went to Wally's and then had a quick sandwich before heading off to our visit....

It is not a fun place to visit... I have never done a visit in a place like that.. I have probably watched way to many movies LOL Everyone was exceptionally nice to us. Even if I did forget the rules and had to go into the bathroom and cut the wires out of my bra to get thru the metal detectors (and yes, Chaplan had even specifically warned me beforehand). I met both the Hospice Coordinator Shaw and Chaplan Swartz. We discussed Geralds status, health, issues, and the protocol if I change my mind and want to go back for the "vigil". At this point it is not something I am inclined to do... but we discussed it. I was amazed that they would take time to see us and to spend enough time to thouroughly explain things to the point that I had no questions that even attempted to get thru the fog. I am not supposed to be burying my younger brother any more than I should have lost my son!!

So, back on track, the 2 visits we did were great. Gerald looks ill - but not terribly. Sounds weird... and it is weird... to see someone that isn't going to live long and they almost look normal... a little pale, a little jaundiced.... they are taking great care of him~~ He's spacy to talk to.... definately medicated.. but not at all scary ~~ Nurse Shaw and Chaplan had already explained it all to me... We had a great visit ~ actually 2 ~ we went back for the morning visit the next day, before we headed out... God Bless you and may your suffering be short, May He have mercy on you Gerald!

But on this stop - I did some shopping!! I have heard about "Pendleton's" all of my life and never wanted to show my ignorance in asking just what was so special - so we went to the Pendleton's Store. Beautiful stuff.... Georgeous!! Absolutely Wonderful!!!! I bought a jacket for Keith. Arms were long enough!!! It is a well-fitting nice jacket.... (about 500 miles away I found a "made in China" sticker inside ~~ I'll never go back ~~ my own fault, I assumed that the items in this "LOCAL" Oregon Store with the solid rep would have Made In America items on their label!!) I was definately annoyed!!!! I made Keith go away from the register after he did his routine questioning - of which this time he got very few answers - so he snapped this photo of me coming out of the store... I think he likes his jacket - he wears it often - I'm sure glad :-)

The ending of our trip on the next post. I will also upload pics onto Flickr - all you have to do is click the badge on the sidebar and it will take you there!!

2 comments:

Sharen said...

You sure got a lot in to a short stop in Pendelton! I've not been there either.

I'm glad you made the effort to go see Gerald. The idea is rolling around in my head. I may go too.

Love, Sis

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to see Uncle Gerald. YUCK YUCK YUCK to poison oak! Yay for shopping though!