December 5, 2008

Sebastian

We've moved into the rv for the 'season'. We are in a little park just off of I95 about 11 miles north of our home in Vero. Some friends from Canada are staying in the house - so we are in the rv. We brought the rv up on Sunday and got it pretty well set up with the screen room and all the little things like water, electric, and CABLE!



We've been here 4 days now and had the rv service people out twice. We got here Monday afternoon and it got a little chilly - so I set the thermostat for 70 when we went to bed.... Keith got up about 5 and the lights were dim and the furnace wasn't working..... He had to start the motor to get the lights brighter and make the furnace work. I didn't think much of it and went on about my business. I put my foot in my slipper (that was outside the bathroom door) and it was WET!! I again thought a few choice things and thought maybe one of the vents is leaking. Checked out the vents and they were dry as a bone..... Tried to turn on the HW heater - and it wouldn't light - so I checked the propane - we are at a little less than 1/2 of a 30/40 or so gallon tank - thought well, maybe the guage on it was wrong and called the office to see about getting the propane filled - we have to unhook EVERYHTING and take the coach up to the office to fill the tank - since it is not a removable tank... one more thing to look at if we ever buy another rv!. I so didn't want to do that!! We only had it all hooked up for 2 days!! - so we went to WallyWorld and bought a small heater, a 2 burner hotplate (I couldn't find the other one {it was under a bunch of stuff - I found it later} that was a 1 burner), and an electric pot to heat water in for dishes, faces, etc. So after we got back another thought came to me and I started the motor and tried to light the tank again - it worked..... So I figured out how to light the hw heater but the stove and furnace still didn't want to work right
Thursday morning the carpet in the bathroom was soaked....the carpet in the hall was wet, and the carpet around the toilet was dripping..... so guess what! We called Indian River R.V. and believe it or not - the serviceman, John, was already in the park!! He appeared about 2 hours later.... The foot valve was leaking - the toilet is to old to get parts for... and while he was here he checked out the electric issue. Well that was an easy fix!! He checked the circuits - all were working and then started crawling on the floor looking in the cabinets.... I asked him what he was looking for and he told me "the converter box". I have absolutely no idea what one looked like so he described it to me. I knew right where that thing was and I had often wondered what it was - since it had the cord still wrapped around it and in that 'plastic' sort of stuff. He looked at us like we just flew in from Mars and had a great big chuckle. The converter box - which, by the way, is what keeps the batteries charged, wasn't plugged in - so it couldn't charge the batteries, which is what the HW heater uses to light, as well as the gas stove, the furnace, and the overhead lights, etc. All of that sort of stuff.... He plugged it in, put all the covers back on the pertinate openings that he'd uncovered - and Keith and I are wondering if it was ever plugged in. Maybe that is why the previous owners gave up on it with only 8,000 miles on it. So today... we have hot water, I can cook, the lights stay bright, and we have a new toilet!! Thank you Indian River R.V.! And John was so nice - he just chuckled when he could've had a big belly laugh about Novice RV'ers and thier issues! And I still have an electic "pot" and a 2 burner hot plate that I didn't have before...... Yippee!!

1 comment:

Sharen said...

RV'ing is the life for me...hmmm
Maybe not. I hope all the tweaks are done now and you two can relax!

The screen room and bikes parked in front look inviting!

Do the carpets dry out quick there?