November 30, 2008

My Thanksgiving Dinner!

I have yet to figure out why EVERY SINGLE time (at least it seems so) I try to cook a "nice" or holiday meal - something goes horribly wrong.

Since we didn't have any plans for joining anyone for dinner - I cooked. I got my turkey in, my stuffing and potatoes done, simmered my giblets for a couple of hours, and made a great looking giblet gravy. The gravy and stuffing is what makes the meal - at least to my way of thinking. And I need gravy to eat turkey. A deep fried turkey doesn't seem to need so much - but oh well, I roasted the bird - it came out beautifully! I didn't do the fruit salad or green bean casserole - but we'll have that at Christmas with S'te and family (oh, yes!, we get to spend Christmas Eve with them!)
I put it on the table and took a picture - for those who think I've forgotten how to cook, LOL I took the picture and realized that the bowl of gravy was still sitting on the stove.......
I started to pick up the bowl and realized it was still really, really hot - grabbed the potholders and picked it up and WALAAH, the bowl broke into 4 pieces. I put the potholders down, thought (I think) a few choice things and immediately tuned into a blubbering mess.
Keith came running in to see what the CRACK was and met me 1/2 way down just as I was grabbing a dish cloth. The gravy was to hot to wipe up and to big a mess to even look at right then....... so we had dinner....... after dinner Keith helped me clean up this mess......

We realized the gravy had gotten into the vents at the top of the oven and I wondered out loud about taking off the handle to clean them out.... Keith "helped out" by asking if there were screws on the inside of the oven door..... I looked, yes, there were.... so I unscrewed them... the whole oven door came apart!!!! Well, I got everything all cleaned out and we began trying to reassemble it. One screw had hibernated, the molded fittings on the sides of the door had broken, the bottom 'thing' had bent, and nothing wanted to fit again. Keith, with his infinate patience found the missing screw (in the rail to the underneath drawer), and got it all back together - minus those pretty plastic pieces that you see on the sides. The bottom of both had broken off.
So the oven is back together, we are still eating turkey (I froze a lot of it), the floor under the stove is very, very clean, and I am minus one of my cut glass bowls.
That is my story - I am over it now..... I can almost point out the appliance that fits to most of the meals I have tried to cook..... That is my story - and I'm sticking with it!

1 comment:

Sharen said...

OH NO! I had a similar experience once...with hot soup in a punch bowl...it cracks just like you described! I'm glad you didn't get scalded! And glad Keith was there to help put things back together... I'm empressed! I'd have had to buy a new stove! LOL