December 23, 2009

Home Again

Our last 2 days on board the Coral Princess were sea days as we sped toward Ft. Lauderdale.  At times I could see land off in the horizon.  I researched each time and found that we saw Haiti off the Eastern side and Jamaica on the West.  Then Haiti and Cuba, then Cuba again... I occupied myself doing odd bits.  I also made a really, really odd discovery.

Early on in the cruise I saw a man that I thought looked and sounded really familiar.  I spent 2 weeks spotting and listening to this person.  During this time we also met a fun couple from Pennsylvania.  Barbara and I became somewhat friendly and we spent quite a bit of those last 2 days in thier company.  So anyhow, that last day on board, this person appeared again during breakfast.  I listened to him talking and still felt as though this person was way to familiar.  Then about lunchtime he ended up sitting right next to us out on deck with a group of folks.  One of them called him 'Les'.  I immediately knew that I wasn't wrong these last 2 weeks.  It was Les Walker.  From Coos County.  I'd known him for many years but hadn't seen or heard anything of or about him for 15+ years (or more).  I told Keith - he thought it was funny that I was unwilling to put myself out there and say "hey, do you remember me".  Keith told Barbara and Marshall.  Soon all 3 were razzing me about 'introducing' myself.  So - eventually I did.  What are the odds..... It really was Les Walker from Coquille, Bandon, etc.  on the Coral Princess sailing from Long Beach to Ft. Lauderdale.  He has moved to South Dakota (I think he said) and I, of course, live in Florida. 
He did NOT remember me - was trying to look at my name on my sign and sail card - not knowing that that would do him no good.  I did have to introduce myself while he preened - knowing that he still looked enough the same to still be recognised.  And I didn't sniff, sniff, sniff..... LOL  We chatted for a few minutes before he took off with his buddies for another event of the day. 

There is my big story for the cruise.  I ran into an acquaintance on board.  Shows that you can't go anywhere without the possibility of 'running into someone'.  LOL


We arrived home early in the morning on the 22nd.  Were some of the last to be called to disembark...had no lines to wait in, our luggage was easily found, our rental car was ready, and just exactly big enough.  Tom gave the right directions and we headed up the road to home.  Home sweet home!!

No comments: