November 12, 2010

Gerald - May You Rest in Peace

This is a very old photo of my baby brother, Gerald, and my son, Jeremy.  It was taken in Reisterstown Maryland in 1972.  Gerald was 10 years old and Jeremy was probably about 4-5 months old (Jeremy is amazed by his hand).  Now, both have left us. Both deserved a longer and better life.  I am not here to say what life choices should have been made differently, or by whom, or if any choices would have made any difference in God's plan for either of them.  I know that this is the time and way that I wish to remember Gerald.  Before life, regrets, and many miles came between us.  I have other photos, much more recent ones.  They show the ravages of time and the disease that finally took his life and were not the happy ones that this one is. 

Although he spent most of his life in a  not-so-good way he deserves to be mourned.  It is sad that this will probably be his only tribute.  The list of people to contact is very, very short.  Life just shouldn't be that way.  I do have to thank all the people that assisted him in this last journey.  The Hospice workers and the Chaplin were so very nice.  They all went out of their way to make sure I could visit whenever I could get over to Pendleton, making special arrangements when necessary.  Even fellow inmates were accommodating for our last visit.  The Chaplin said Gerald passed quietly in his sleep much quicker and more mercifully than expected.  There was no real warning that he was this close to the end of his time.  Although we all knew it was getting closer ~ well ~ I guess I  wasn't ready for it to be it.  I was planning to visit again in just a couple of weeks and sent a card just 2 days ago letting him know that I was thinking of him.
 
Although we still don't know for sure about Jeremy, I am sure that Mom (and probably Jeremy to) was waiting to welcome Gerald with open arms.  May you rest in Peace Little Bro' - keep watch.

I love you.
 Gerald Dean Smith
April 9, 1962 - November 12, 2010
Born in Portsmouth, Ohio and died in Pendleton, Oregon
Son of Jack and Betty Smith, brother to Diane (Bland) Beatty, Sharen (Bland) Rea, and 2 estranged brothers, George and Randy Smith. Gerald had 1 son, Nicholas, and a grandson whom I never met.  His nieces and nephews included S'te Elmore, Brett, Michael, and Caleb Bettin.  He was preceded in death by his Mother, Betty, and  most probably his oldest nephew, Jeremy Bright.    He spent his early life in Maryland before moving to Myrtle Point in 1974.  He then went to school in Myrtle Point and afterwards lived and worked all over.  At one time he coached the Tubby's baseball team (including his star player, Jeremy) to a winning season, making the front page of the newspaper!  He worked in the logging, construction, fishing, and food industries for several years before becoming ill.  Gerald had many life struggles and with God's mercy, they are now behind him, he is without pain, and, hopefully, he was able to make his peace with everyone as he did me, I hope he is finally at peace with himself.

2 comments:

Sharen said...

Very nicely done, Sis. Love, Sharen

Barbara said...

Really sorry about your brother's passing. I know that life has surprises for all of us. Some good and some bad. May the good Lord now give him only the best.
Thinking of you and your family while we are down in Florida.
Jim and Barb