September 30, 2007

To finish out September. . .

We trimmed the "oldgrowth" Rhody down to bare branches. It is still almost to the roofline!! This trimming didn't seem to bother the birdies at all. They still sit up in it to "sun" themselves. This picture was taken from inside the kitchen early in the morning. The birds will start flying south soon - but I've really, really enjoyed having them so close for the last few months :) Andl next, I helped to finish off the garage. It is now the same color as the house (well - almost!!:) I think it needs some sort of trim - but I'm leaving well enough alone - it gone done - and for that I'm thankful!! Robert also came over and put my "stepping stones" down the side of it - so now there is no excues for "walking in the grass that is trying to grow!! and it's still trying. There are still huge "bald spots" but the grass is growing!! I'm watching it!!!! Makes me laugh - just sittin' 'round watchin' the grass grow!! Well, that's what I'm doin'

My frines had a great time in Spokane and I spent a fun filled couple of hours listening to their recollections of their trip!! "to live vicariously" - as another friend would say. . but they had a good time and I am so glad!! Even the dogs were gentle and easy to take care of. They can be really rough - but they were really good for me!! Maybe it's my "no nonsense" sargeant like voice!! hehe

The last weekend of September, Sharen invited us over to Klamath Falls to visit while our Mom Judy was there. Mom's birthday treat was lunch at the Crater Lake Inn. Tim is here and Keith didn't want to go - so he suprised me with a rental car - and I got to go anyway. Keith is sooooo wonderful to me. God was smiling on me when he arranged that introduction!! But everyone already knows that!!

So on Friday, off I went. I stopped in MP again - I'm determined to see at-least-some-of the people that I knew during the many years I lived and worked there. . . Actually did see a couple more people. . got caught up on some of the "news and happenings", found out where a couple more people are working. . . I'll have to visit there before I leave for the winter. . . And finally decided I'd better get on the road. It was a beautiful drive. I just enjoyed every second of the scenery that is out there. I had rain, sleet, snow, sun, rain, sun, snow, sun, rain and even skunk. . . I was so intent on following my map directions - and didn't have my co-pilot - that I forgot to gas up before the last 1.5 hour leg - that is a little short on gas stations!!! I was about 50 miles or so from KFalls when I happened to look at the gauge. It was just barely north of the red line!!! At Lake of the Woods the sign says "GAS" and I was truly thankful. . . so I went about 3 miles off of 140, back to the most beautiful lake!! with snow all around and the setting sun reflecting off of it. . . Really gorgous!! With a little country store sitting down by the dock. . . And they were Closed for the season!!! So now I've wasted 6 miles of my precious fuel!! Back to 140 I go. . . really praying now. . . I am so far out in the boonies that my cell phone even says "No Service". So, I'd just have to wait for someone to miss me, try to decided which way I decided to thru the mountains . . . and then to decide to come looking for me. . . so I'm asking God for a gas station. Price was no obect. . . just the ability to fuel my chariot!!! and, walaaah, there was one. And it was OPEN.. . and someone came out and put gas in the car. . . I was so relieved, so blessed, so happy!! It was almost euphoria. . kind of hard to explain. . if you have never been in the middle of nowhere. . and from you own stupidity . . . put yourself into a situation like that. . . .

So I got my gas, got back on the road and made it to KFalls. It was back to being a beautiful drive. The road wound around the south side of the lake and not all of the birds were gone yet. . Relaxing. Made it to KFalls and my "mapquest map" had different street names than the ones posted on the corners (where there were names). . . I made a complete circle - and then called. . . . I was only about 9 blocks away - but headed in the wrong direction - so glad that I called. So I got turned around and made it. Couldn't have missed the driveway, Sharen, Mom, and Jack were all standing out there waving at me!!! And Jack had made Pazzoli for dinner. . And let the weekend start~~~ What fun. . . . . to spend time with family is a total blessing!!

click here for the Crater Lake Slideshow. . . Mike and Sharen took some really beautiful pictures. . .

and HERE is a link to the story of crater lake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A blue garage, eh! Maybe you should add some blue trim to it - hehe!!

Glad you enjoyed your visit with Aunt Sharen and the rest of the family. Looks like you all enjoyed yourself.

That's a lot of birdies on that bush. Looks like they enjoy it also

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I looked at the slide show - what incredible pics and incredible scenery - you know, I have never even been across the Mississippi River - your pics make me realize what I have been missing - what a beautiful part of the country - what a nice trip too - that is so great-Joe