June 28, 2010

St. Louis - night 1


So, after attending Church with Mom B we got into the car and headed out towards Missouri and April's family.  We got about 1/2 way there and I saw a sign.  Then I saw another one and Keith said we could go see.  Way, way out of our way I found Santa's Candy Castle at Santa Claus, Illinios. 

Keith waited in the car while I went in and watched kids there make snow... indoor - no melt snow! - talk to Santa ~ and generally have a great time.  It was amazing - all of the 'stuff' for Christmas that was available!  But I contained myself, I only bought our 2010 donations to the Girls family's Christmas Tree decorations.  I loved the little birthstone angels!  Keith even helped out by calling for the one birth month that I couldn't remember (I thought I did pretty good - after all, there are a LOT of them!).  We got about another 100 miles down the road before I realized that I'd gotten one of the other months wrong - and it was too late to turn around. Wahhh!  So we continued on our way, determined to find a way to fix it - one way or another - and the another ended up with the fine folks at the Castle sending me the ornament that I was needing to replace.  Thank you for the assistance!  During our stay in St. Charles - we went and got an engraver - and I got the year and names engraved too... What a deal!!
After a few more hours with Rush, Kelly, and whoever else I talked too, we crossed the Mississippi into St. Louis!  It was a bit overcast and just as we hit the city - we even got a few raindrops but we soon left them behind to the warmth of St. Charles

We stayed at the Best Western Inn of St. Charles where we had a rather eventful 1st night!  As always, Keith requested a handicap room, or at least a room on the 1st floor since he and his legs have definate issues with going down stairs.  Well, we were given a room on the 3rd floor since the fellow at the desk said he had to 'hold' a first floor room (I'm not extremely clear on just what this issue was, except that I know there were empty 1st floor rooms and we didn't get one of them).  So we unload all the stuff in the crew cab of the pickup - since we would be there for several days.  And haul it up to the 3rd floor - definately thankful for the elevator!! ^-^   Along about dark or so I start hearing this noise.  Keith isn't the least bit concerned (right to sitting in the chair in his scivvies working on the laptop!) and says it's the fire alarm!!!!! Yikes~~ fire alarm ~ third floor ~ bad ankles ~ no elevator during a fire~~~ I grab my purse and I'm ready to be out of there~~ Keith still in his scivvies, still scrolling around on the internet, not the least bit interested ~~~~ The young guy desk clerk is running from room to room, checking to make sure all of his patrons were safely evacuated!  Not so!!!  Here we are!!  He was very exasberated when he said "The fire alarm is ringing!! You are SUPPOSED to go outside to the evacuation area!" to which I replied ~  I will, as soon as my husband puts some pants on.  LOL  So Keith finally finishes what he is doing and PUTS HIS PANTS ON and we go down the stairs. . . one step at a time - as is necessary for us to do - (which is why we ask for a 1st floor room to start with)  are we getting the picture???  I'm about to bounce off the wall - afraid of fire, yes I am....

So we get down the stairs, the fire trucks are there, the police are there, the other guests are sitting around the lobby - and I quipped to one of them " nice way to spend an evening" ~ only trying to be funny ~ and was told that they were glad they were only spending the 1 night there - as they didn't like being annoyed - ok - so that didn't go so well..... and the fireman shows up and says - ok folks, the rain caused a leak and the leak caused the alarm to go off - there would be something, something, something to make sure that everyone would be safe until it was fixed - anyhow, we could go back to our rooms....

So, we get into the elevator, get to the 2nd floor, and the elevator stops.  More alarms.  Can't get it to move.  Keith got the door open, we got out, and we walked up to our room on the 3rd floor, hoping that the something, something, something didn't happen - because I don't think Keith would've volunarily walked those stairs again....

Soooo, I need another box out of the vehicle that didn't get taken upstairs.  So I go out to the elevator.  There is an out-of-order sign on it - both on the 3rd and 1st floors (I didn't check any further),  I got the box from outside and stopped at the desk to inquire as to the status of FIXING the elevator and was told "probably a couple of days".   So this stinks!!!!  I then offer the fact that I certainly hoped that nothing 'happened' in the next "couple of days" - as we were on the 3rd floor and handicapped.  Not a good deal!


No comments: