May 4, 2006

Dinner

What do you fix when you don't know what anyone eats? I was going to fry a chicken, but I (in my infinite hurry) bought a roaster instead of a fryer. And I do know what a fryer is~~ So I marinated the said roaster in italian seasonings and put some sweet potatoes in the oven with it. I know that one child likes broccoli and another likes carrots - so I sauteed a mix of these with some summer squash and zuchini. I thought it all came out tasting pretty good. So did the 3 and 1 year old boys that we are babysitting for 4 days, but the 2 older ones just picked at it. Tyler said it was going to make him throw up if he had to eat anything but the chicken. He had his head held up with both hands and Amber just kind of pushed around on her plate. I tried bribing with chocolate ice cream - it worked really well with Adam (3). He ate all of his and the ice cream and asked for more (ice cream). Riley (1) came with baby food because he doesn't really like "people food" yet. He ate all of his and a jar of green beans with rice. Papa ate a large plateful and the older kids finally decided they would rather go to bed so they wouldn't have to eat anything.

I think they had a rather over-active day (for us). They had a visit yesterday so they were all wound up last night and didn't sleep well. We had to go thru all the "why's" and how long are we staying questions - again. It is so hard to try to explain - and they already knew the answers - they just didn't want to go to bed so it was really late - almost 10 before they finally sort of settled down. I don't know exactly when they went to sleep - I was having a bad spell of my own. I didn't even go with them for their visit, Papa took them. So anyway, I'd taken the meds that the Dr gave me last night and they make me sleepy and grumpy all day the next day - I try not to take them often - so Papa took them to the pool after school. So by the time they got home from school at 4:20 - got their snack - got changed - went to the pool - did a little homework while the food cooled - we didn't eat until almost 7. Our dinnertime is usually around 6 - if not shortly before. So hopefully this is why they were so tired.

By 8, Tyler (who was not the least bit tired) was sound asleep but Amber couldn't sleep. Of course when I checked on her the first time - she was up at her dresser watching herself make faces in the mirror. I explained that she couldn't sleep standing up so she got back in bed. Then she needed water. Then she needed the bathroom. Then she wanted her door open a little more. The next time it was quiet and I checked she was sitting up in bed playing with her fingers. She said she just couldn't go to sleep. I explained that she couldn't go to sleep while she was sitting up. It was best to lay down when trying to doze off. She wanted to know what doze meant and got me into conversation. That worked for a few minutes - but not for long. I woke up and quit talking to her. She was asleep about 3 minutes after she finally laid down. Next was the 3 year old. He brought all the little chairs and set them up around his bed. Tyler was sleeping so soundly that he didn't even wiggle when I turned the light on to take all the toys away from the bed. The next time I heard movement - Adam had taken his pj's off and was under his pillow and blanket playing "tent". I redressed him and he said he does not like me. OK, fine, lay down and go to sleep. Meanwhile, WB went to sleep on the floor about 6 and hasn't woke yet. Will he sleep all night?

I gave up on Tuesday and started going back to the Chiropractor. By mid-afternoon none of the joints or bones in my body want to cooperate with me. They just hurt, and my feet burn. Even just sitting with them put up - they just burn. And when I try walking on them it is even worse. I also had the echo done that Dr. Lisa has been harping about. No word on that yet - so it must've been ok. Nothing earthshattering or I would've heard something by now. I do go back to the Chiro tomorrow morning so I will be able to hold my head straight up. That's always a plus.

Papa got in touch with an attorney in CA and we will see her while we are out there. I need for this to be over so I can at least get done with the "I-don't-want-to-touch-your-shoulder" syndrome that the Dr.'s have. Then maybe with the whole picture - we can find out what the hell is wrong. I'm so tired of having a great day, 3 bad days, a good day, 2 bad days, and then maybe another great day. And I hate the anti-whatevers that I am taking to get that one great day out of the week or so. I'm tired of being tired. And I know it isn't the kids - without them I wouldn't even function. They give me a reason to get around as much as I do. And I love having them (however it probably sounds on this). They need safety and help. I have been so blessed in this latter part of my life that I feel strongly about needing to share some of the blessings that I have had bestowed on me with those less fortunate. And who could possibly be more needy than these poor children whose parents aren't able to care for them during special times of their lives. I pray daily that these parents will come to realize what they are inflicting on the unsuspecting and innocent lives of thier children.

My meds are kicking in and I'm becoming morose so I'll close for now. Keep the comments coming - I live for them!! ~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, it's about time you updated!! I've been checking everyday for a week and nothing. You are usually better than I am about updating.

Hope you start feeling better. I'm going to take the kids to the zoo tomorrow for a little while. Go see what's new!