May 20, 2006

Small Steps, Little Wonders

I am learning about Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ADS), I think. Weirdly enough the May 15th issue of Time, which arrived yesterday, has a huge write up on the subject. Now, I'm aware that Time only ever reports the upside of any subject so I'm reading on this with a grain of salt - BUT - Austin got his cup off of the cart - got a drink while wandering into the playroom - AND THEN CAME IN AND PUT IT BACK!!. Not that this is a huge thing - but in our life of constant turmoil with him - it is hope. And it means that he isn't THAT slow to learn. I personally feel as tho' this is a good sign for him. He is now laying on the floor behind me entertaining HIMSELF with 2 trucks, complete with engine noise and uh-oh's when they crash together!!! When we can't find anything he "wants" to do = he is a terror. He runs and grabs and runs and spills and runs and screams (while hitting himself in the head with his fists) and runs and runs and runs. I'm slowly learning his triggers and how to deal with him. He also is responding well to one-word directions. UP, COME, SIT. So, maybe I will be able to manage another 10 days with him. He is a large, strong 40 lb 2.5 year old. Maybe I should get combat pay :)

Lonnie is teething. He is miserable, therefore we all hurt. There is no TV show or conversation that is not punctuated with his whining. He had stopped it for awhile, but it's back - in triplicate~~

The older two have gone on a field trip to the Water Park. They were so excited to go that I don't think either one of them slept a wink last night. Amber was wanting to wake Tylor at 6 this morning and was caught 3 times trying to sneak in to do so. I finally told her if she tried again, she wasn't going. She decided to get herself dressed and take care of her hygenic stuff instead. So that little problem was solved. Tylor was up at 7 anyhow. It's not like he overslept. He did have a hard time getting to sleep - excitement - and Austin banging his head and mumbo-jumboing until almost 11 before he finally conked out.

I'm hobbling in my "boot" but my foot is feeling so much better!!
I have to have a shoe on the other foot or I'm seriously off balance. I hate to show my horribly fat legs. It seems like only years ago that I had good looking legs - time does horrible things.
If it's not where the Dr. wants it by Tuesday, he is talking a cast - oh, no,no,no. This monstrosity is hot enough. It is 9:30 AM and already 88 in the shade on the screen room (with a breeze). I can't even imagine a cast!!! :( :( :( :-(

Keith's friend Tom, who was in the Navy with him isn't doing well. He was diagnosed with some type of very fast-growing cancer about 2 weeks ago. Prognosis is about 6 weeks left. Family has arrived, Hospice is involved. Tom has decided to forgo any treatment that will make his remaining days miserable. My heart goes out to the entire family but most especially Nancy, who has been married to him for many, many years, raised 4 children with him and will be so very lost without him. I am so glad that she has her faith in the Lord to see her thru as well as the love and dedication of her family and friends.

It is so true (I had to learn it) that our children grow and start a life seperate from ours and could it be because they will have to carry forth when we are gone? They ways of God are innumerable and his life plan for each of us remains a mystery to me. Just as - why did Jeremy get taken just as I was getting things straightened out in our lives? Why has the Lord seen to torture me all of these years with the uncertainty? It's getting closer to his birthday and I get more and more morbid as this time comes each year. This year he is 34 and has been lost for almost 20. I pray daily for the strength to keep praying.

Also, 2 days ago was my Dad's 73 (I think) birthday. I tried calling both his home and cell numbers and didn't get an answer on either one. I left messages - but you can tell that we are really close - huh-. Anyhow, Happy Birthday Dad!!!

Keith's Mom loved (or said she did) her coffee cup with our picture on it. It even made it for Mother's day! I haven't had a Mother for so long - I forget to do those kind of things!!

And if you read the MONEY PIT you will see how well S'te is dealing with Rod being gone for so long - and Kiah's triumph!! He's such a smart boy - (when he's sleeping LOL).

I guess this is enough for today. More when something new happens!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you don't have to get a cast and I'm so glad that your foot is feeling better.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!!

Hopefully we are on a promising road to getting answers about Jeremy. We can pray that God uses this person to give us some answers.

Sorry your Mother's Day card hasn't arrived yet. I put them somewhere because the babies were trying to tear them apart and of course I don't remember where that was!! What's new?!