June 7, 2006

Our Day 5 here

It's Day 39 for S'te. She's keeping track of how long Rod has been gone!! I used to count the days Papa was gone - back when he traveled alone. It's hard to believe that he used to be gone for weeks at a time. I was working and stayed pretty well busy back then. Busier when he was gone than when he was home. Just to pass the time!! That's when I started doing Respite for foster families. S'te had foster children then and I went and got my prints done, passed my security check, got registered as a respite provider and then watched the children so that the parents could take a time out. I sat anywhere from a few hours to a weekend - sometimes at my home and others at theirs. I wish Florida had more respite providers. I should campaign or something. If we had providers that could watch the children for short periods of time - we might be able to recruit more foster families. Who knows? I'm not real sure just where all that came from but it's here now :)

We've been quasi-busy for the last few days. So far:

Saturday - we arrived, Keith went to the Condo to check a few things with the renter. I was tired and my foot looked like a football. So I stayed home and rested. And visited and played with the kids.

Sunday - We went to church, to C1 for spaghetti for lunch with a bunch of friends, stopped by the Condo to try again to fix a few things, had dinner at the Moose Lodge with Liz & Earl

Monday - S'te's Birthday YEAH - 29, went to play Bingo with Janet!! What a bust!! I had so many cards that I could anywhere near keep up!! Got home and Papa asked if we had a good visit!!! Like we had time to talk!! I didn't even have time to breathe!! We are planning to go again in a couple of weeks. I'll take S'te with us to help us keep up!! Had dinner, cake & ice cream - and gifts - for the Birthday Girl!

Tuesday - S'te had her VTC with Rod. She took TeeTee and Kiah. The rest of the kids were in school so she taped it for us to watch. It was really kool the way they did it. I wish they could have taped what was being said on this end. We could only hear Rod on the tape so sometimes we didn't know what he was answering to but we were able to hear his voice. It was so great!! Then we went to Olde Towne for dinner with a co-worker of Keith's that was here from St. Louis on business. We have Mexican food every day since we've been here!!

Today - S'te planned to take "Yellow Kitty" to the shelter. She really only was going to take care of him until she could find a home and he is soooo little~~ but she didn't want 3 cats. So, she packed him up and took him along - Papa and I were laughing about her ability to leave him at the shelter!! She might make it into the parking lot but she'd never make it in the door!! Well, she didn't - but she didn't come home with him either. She took him into Headstart this morning with Kiah and found a parent whose kitten had to be put to sleep - so she wanted him. God works when you let him!!! Follow your little "feelings" and everything will work out! Papa fixed our bedroom door - it was ruining the carpet so he took it off and shaved some off of the bottom. He also scoped out how to patch the hallway ceiling and has already gotten the materials he needs. I went shopping and got lost trying to get back here!! It took me 5 (or 15) minutes to get to the store and 45 (or 75) minutes to find my way back!! Just one wrong turn and I totally lost my way. Same as in life. I followed my warped sense of direction and came out on Broadway (I think) - and got back here. Just like my Mom, turn me around twice in a paper bag and I'll never find my way out!!

S'te went to her leadership meeting this evening and now we are sitting in the recliners working on our Blogs. Papa is asleep. We are way to relaxed here. I could get used to this!!!

Well, now I'm done with this so I thing it's bedtime now for me. I've uploaded new pictures on Flickr - so go check them out!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we've gotten a lot accomplished in the last few days. So glad that you are enjoying your stay!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy and fun time out there in California!! Good for you! Thanks for helping me straighten out my flikr account. Pastor says hi as does everyone else! What day do you arrive back in VB? In the mean time enjoy your time with S'te and the kids! love from home, sallie