August 29, 2006

Sooo NOT IMPRESSED

So, I'm a compulsive worrier. Yesterday I had Kiah to worry about - and he came thru like gangbusters!! Of course he had people from coast to coast and north to south praying for a great outcome - and our prayers were answered!!

So today I needed a new worry. Of course, I found one. Ernesto turned our way. Vero Beach Florida is nothing short of totally miserable in the summertime. For an overweight, underactive, sweating bullets, miserable in her own skin non-climatized person, it is horrible. I've managed to not stay there for much of the summers since we've lived there, but unfortunately, this year I've got the mid to late summer duty (we are usually gone about the time we got back). And I've been so totally useless it's horrible. For instance, this morning, at 8:30 it was 94 degrees in the screen room. That is with 2 ceiling fans blowing on high. I was sweating buckets while we were trying to get things picked up and finalized so we could high-tail it outta there. I'm sure that us leaving is what is sparing the whole east coast of Florida a real bad blow!! Anyhow, we finally got gone - at 9:30. Keith and I were both soaking wet - so much for our morning showers. We actually had a beautiful day for a drive. Sunny, lots of a/c. Beautiful. The kids were excited about riding in the "bus" and even took naps on the way up. This is wonderful for them as they usually don't care to sit in their seats all the way to the store and back :)

So, since our electricity usually goes out with thunderstorms I didn't really want to take a chance of being there with no power. Keith found this place on the internet yesterday to humor me and get us out of the path of we-didn't-know-just-what. We drove up the Turnpike no tolls because of the storm and arrived 7 hours later here in Lake Park at the Eagles Roost. It looks really grand on the web-site. And it is a really nice place - for the people with brand new HUGE rv's. I really wanted a space close to the playground. It didn't look all that full - still looks like there is plenty of room. They gave us this little spot that we really don't even fit in. To put the slide out we had to pull clear up to the unlevel part of the only unlevel spot in the place. That put the door in the dirt. The cement table is stationary so the kids couldn't use it, there is no grass (I brought our little tykes picnic table - just in case) for the kids to play on and we are at the complete edge of the facility. We drove around the grounds twice - didn't pull in well the first time- and it is totally the worst spot in the place and the dirtiest too. The cement table was filthy and even after sweeping and washing it off - it's filthy. The space itself is to small for this RV and I look over at the people that arrived after us and watched them pull thier big,new RV into a spot that has plenty of room for their 3 slides and thier door opens onto the wider pad and they actually have a table and chairs and grass and a little bush with mulch. A nice little landscaped spot - closer to the playground yadda yadda yadda

Keith went over to the office and was told - "this is Labor Day Weekend". All the nicer spots are booked up for Sat thru Mon. We were kinda thinking of leaving on Friday (if we have power) but I'm not sure I want to stay at all. I can't let the kids out here - they don't have a level place to STAND much less play. I actually packed the van full of ride on cars, swim stuff, and misc other outdoor stuff for them to play with - mostly because I didn't think this place was big enough for us all to be "housebound" for several days - but now - since there is no place for the stuff in the van - I have no place to put the carseats that are in here. So I worked myself and Keith into huge literal sweats - for nothing.

Needless to say - I'm venting. Keith is asleep. The kids are asleep. I just talked to my Dad about Ernesto, Makkiah, Sharen, etc. and I'm still just beside myself. Anyhow, if you are around here - you might qualify for better sites than we got - but I'm not putting any money on it. Not real glad that I talked Keith into coming here to start with. Next time, MAYBE I'll keep my mouth shut and just stay home and be miserable. It's cheaper and if I'm miserable I can possibly do something about it. No need to travel 7 hours to do it hahahaha.

So, we are safe from the 'big wind' and will probably head back home on Thursday (if I can swing it) or Friday. We are blessed that Kiah is safely home with no ill news, Pastor is in the mend, Sharen is adjusting, I'm getting a little better. So I do count my blessings - I just get so IRRITATED!!

And happy Labor Day to all of you!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that things didn't work out the way you wanted them to. I am glad that it appears you won't be getting any damage from Ernesto though. Hope you have an uneventful trip home.

Mitch said...

Not a happy camper this trip, eh?I'm sure being sick had a lot to do with it. Home seems all the nicer after such an adventure!